Wednesday, 18 June 2014

WIP | I'm Too Hexie

English Paper Piecing.  I love it.  This is the portable hobby that got me to quit knitting.  I mean, who wants to knit when you could be sewing?

It's been pretty toasty here in Ontario - almost too hot - but after the weather we had this past winter, it feels like a sin to complain about the heat.  So I won't.  No worries.  It might be too hot for the sewing machine, but it's perfect weather for a little EPP.


I began work on this quilt back in August and have continued to pick away at it since.  One of the things I love best about this quilt is it's connection to so many of the other quilts I've made through the scrappiness of the fabrics. You see, I tend to gift my quilts to loved ones and often the fabrics I choose remind me of those loved ones. At first glance some of the fabric picks may seem a little odd (like the bananas that were a leftover from the Sock Monkey quilt I made my niece) but these reminders, this collection of bits from my past projects and the people that they call to mind, are what make this project extra special. 



This is the latest "Block" to join this quilt.  I decided to get a little wild with the center hexie and made it out of a bunch of tiny diamonds.  This was so darling as it came together, I couldn't help but squeal with delight.  Which was awkward, since I sewed that bit up while on a road trip to Chicago last week with a few of my coworkers!  It's fine, they understand my brand of crazy!

If all goes well, technology-wise, I'll be linking up to WIP Wednesday with Lee at Freshly Pieced.  This will be my first EVER linky, peeps!  Exciting stuff!

Happy Wednesday!
--Liz

PS:  I'm auditioning some alternate names for this quilt:
  • Hexie and I Know It
  • Let's Talk About Hex, Baby
  • Hexie Back
  • Hexual Healing
Any preferences?  Other suggestions?



6 comments:

  1. Something about summer makes me want to do hand-piecing, too. It's not only cooler, it's portable, and we all seem to be so much more on the move in the summer. FWIW, I like Hexual Healing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice hexie quilt top! I can't believe you pieced all of those tiny diamonds. I like your alternate names, I'm leaning towards hexie and I know it.

    Hope you're enjoying your first link party!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just started EPP - definitely fun (though I don't think it will take the place of knitting). I love all your potential names.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did some EPP over a long hot summer many years ago - not as stunning as yours! Love the colour layout. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hexual Healing....that one got a giggle out of me.
    I'm working on tons of hexies, but I don't have enough of any one fabric to do something like you are doing.
    I also don't even know what I am really going to do with them once I get them done....time will tell as I always say.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pretty! I love how I get to use my left over quilt scraps for EPP too! It is so much fun. Yours is beautiful! I like Hexi and I Know It.

    ReplyDelete