Thursday, 17 July 2014

#TBT | Art Quilt

My lack of new sewing progress to share this week has prompted me to re-visit my Throwback Thursday series.  Today I'm sharing about a quilt that I made my sister for her 30th birthday. 


This quilt was born out of fabric cheapness frugality.  At the time that I made this quilt I was also working on my XOX quilt which had generated some irregularly wedge-y, triangle-ish shaped scraps that were too big to toss away but too wonky to use in a traditional application.  So, I just started sewing those wonky bits together all willy-nilly to create my own scrappy fabric, which I then cut into squares.  These little art blocks reminded me of tiny abstract paintings, so I went with it, creating "frames" with grey borders and a "gallery wall" with white sashing.  

I finished this quilt up with a cozy black and white flannel backing and bound it with teal polka dots.  

Happy Thursday Everyone!
--Liz

1 comment:

  1. I love flannel backed quilts, I just finished my first one and wish it was going to live at my house. I like how you were able to put awkward scraps together to make all of these blocks, very nice!

    ReplyDelete