Friday, 29 August 2014

Finished | Fancy

Hello You Peeps!

I'm really excited to share this finished quilt today.  This quilt is made of Drunkard's Path blocks and is based on this pattern from Quilty Magazine (although I altered the size and made up my own cutting directions - because that's just how I do). 


This was my first attempt at free motion quilting an entire quilt and overall I'm happy with the results.  I kind of lost some steam towards the end, hence the half-assed curly-cues.  But I still think it's a successful first stab at FMQ.  Here's a close up shot of the quilting.



When I first set out to make this quilt I planned on it ending up in my Etsy Shop. However after all the hours of cutting, piecing, ripping, re-piecing, quilting and so on, I think I'd have to charge something like $8,000 for it, so it's looking like this one will be staying in my collection. 

This quilt finished at 48" x 60". The top is pieced from Kona Solids in Black and Sand, and is backed with Stitched Square in Black, by Michael Miller.  I named it "Fancy" because the pattern is really quite elegant, and the colour scheme just screams champagne and caviar - which I also tried to convey with the bubbly/fish egg shaped quilting motif.  My favourite thing about this quilt?  The contrast between the black and the cream is so graphic, and is really quite striking.

I'm going to link up to Finish it up Friday over at Crazy Mom Quilts, can't wait to check out what everyone's been up to!

Happy Friday!
--Liz



4 comments:

  1. Love this! The black & white give such a wonderful traditional quilt a great modern look. I have a DP on my bucket list, but I need to master curves first.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I liked the circles in the quilting before I read your comment; even more now that they are champagne bubbles. Cheers on FMQ the larger quilt. The black and sand creates a dramatic, graphic contrast and a modern look to a traditional pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this quilt! It's so striking to look at and the quilting is fantastic. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bravo, Liz! This is certainly a stunning quilt. Love the black and white effect... and the curved piecing is quite a feat. The quilting is the icing on the cake! Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete