Monday, 29 September 2014

Around the World Blog Hop

Today I'm participating in the Around the World Blog Hop, which has been working it's way through Blogland recently.  I was tagged by Ann at Anniemac Original, who has a great sense of colour and style.  If you've never come across her blog before I encourage you to hop on over and check out her work!

So, shall I tell you a bit about my quilting/blogging journey?  

What I'm working on...

I tend to work on one or two projects at a time, rather than trying to juggle several WIPs. I just love the sense of accomplishment of finishing a project, and the excitement of starting a new one.  Right now I'm at the basting stage of a random scrappy 9-patch-ish project that was inspired by some cute vintage prints.  


I'm also incredibly close to finishing up the quilt top for a long-term EPP project, which has been consuming my sewing time lately.  Once the top is done, I'll be basting it up then hand-quilting.  I love hand-quilting, and haven't worked it into a project in a long while so I'm excited about that.  Hmmm...I've just now realized that I'm about to have two projects in the basting phase.  Bleh.


How my work differs from others in the genre...

I knew this would be a difficult question to answer, but geez!  I suppose I try not to let my style be defined trendy colours, or block-crazes (remember when Economy Blocks were EVERYWHERE!?).  I just work on what speaks to me at any given time, and draw inspiration from my daily life. I rarely use a pattern and when I do I tend to put my own spin on in it some way. I've also never sewn entirely within a single fabric collection.  Pulling fabrics for a quilt is my favourite part of the process, and using a pre-curated bundle would take all the fun out of it!  

Why I create what I do...

I love making things from scratch - the act of creating something from nothing. This is why I love quilting, the act of cutting up a bunch of fabric and reassembling it into something that's beautiful and functional and unique.  The opportunity to experiment with new techniques or colour schemes is a big plus too.  

How my creative process works...

I'm always keeping my eyes open for possible quilting inspiration.  Like, tile patterns that inspire EPP, or piecing inspiration in the trusses of a railway bridge, or the way a handful of pistachios can inspire a fabric pull.  I also find inspiration in magazines, books and of course online!  
  
Once I've got a concept worked out I usually sketch up my designs using old-school graph paper and fine-tip Sharpies, make a few tweaks to the sketch, pull fabrics and begin making.  Of course, the design wall is a valuable tool, which helps me see my progress and make further tweaks as my work progresses. 



Well, there you have it - a little bit about me and my quilt-love.  
I've tagged two talented quilters for the next round:

Amy from Indigo Cottage Quilts has a great conversational writing style that's a lot of fun to read.  I'm loving the Hallowe'en table runner she's currently working on.  Confession time: Amy and I are bending the rules a wee bit and co-tagging each other, so her Around the World Blog Hop post is also up today.

Kat from Kat & Cat Quilts will be posting next week.   Kat's FMQ skills are impressive and her Scrappy Crumb Paint Box quilt is awesome - I'm totally inspired to clean out my scrap bins this way!  

Thanks for hopping over.  Happy Monday!
--Liz

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Liz!! Your EPP quilt looks awesome! I really like pulling and mixing fabrics for a quilt, too!

    ReplyDelete