I spent my December sewing time creating a few handmade gifts, and I thought I'd share about these gifts as a bit of a wrap up to the holiday season.
First off is the hand-sewing kit I made for my sister, who is also a quilter. She's been interested in hand quilting and EPP, so I put together a little something to encourage her in that goal.
This kit includes an Open Wide pouch (from Noodlehead), a pincushion, a thread catcher, and a needle book (thanks Kate at Thread Everywhere for sharing this awesome tutorial from Instructables). In addition to the handmade items, I also included a few fat quarters, and some favourite notions. I used a number of fabrics from the Indelible series by Katarina Roccella for Art Gallery Fabrics, along with a few coordinating stash bits. Finally, the whole collection was placed inside the Open Wide Pouch and wrapped in yet another fat quarter - I think this one has a mildly Christmas-y vibe, don't you?
I also did a bit of crafting for my nieces this year, including a set of colourful bean bags and some coordinating tu-tus, which were loosely based on this tutorial (although I failed to read the part about using a spool of tulle and instead bought yardage which created a lot more work for me).
In preparation for 2015, I've given some thought to some quilt-related resolutions that I aim to work on in the coming year. Here they are, in no particular order:
- Slow Sewing :: If my Hexie quilt has taught me anything this year, it's that I absolutely love hand sewing and the way it connects me to my work. I want to embrace more of this in the future, even if that means fewer finishes.
- Share :: I have been on Instagram for over a year and have posted a dismal total of 6 images. I aim to embrace this tool more in the coming year, sharing my creative work and some life stuff too.
- Daily Quilting :: I aim to spend even just a few minutes each day on some sort of sewing/quilting/designing/creative endeavor. I know I'll break this one!
- FMQ :: I'm working on overcoming my fear of FMQ. I made some progress at this in 2014, but there's much that can be improved on in 2015.
- Spruce Up the Blog :: By this I mean actually finish the basic stuff - my About Me page has been "under construction" since day one.
- Connect :: I'd like to join a bee (anyone know of one starting up soon? newbies welcome?), and I aim to comment more on other blogs. We all love getting comments, and I want to be intentional in sharing that love!
- Join a Guild :: Or at least check one out and see if it's for me.
- Improve My Photograpy :: Or maybe just mix up the location of my photoshoots on occasion, I think we're all getting a little tired of the clothesline in my raggedy backyard.
So there's the list, I think it will be fun to check back in a years time and see how things have progressed.
I'm going to go linky crazy today and join the parties at Lily's Quilts for both Fresh Sewing Day and the Small Blog Meet, as well as Quilting Jet Girl's Quilty Resolutions.