Wednesday, 28 January 2015

WIP | Playing with FMQ, Part II

First off, many thanks to those of you who checked out my previous Playing with FMQ post and offered suggestions for tutorials, classes and FMQ experts that I could learn from.  Quilters are just so dang helpful, eh?


  
I've been having an absolute blast with all this FMQ-ing!  When I compare the latest batch of sammies to the early ones, I'm super pumped to see improvements in my tension, consistency and confidence.  You guys, I even got cocky enough to dare trying out contrasting threads - gasp! 

Here are links to the tutorials and resources I found that helped inspire/inform me for these FMQ motifs:

  1. Flower Power, by Lori Kennedy at the Inbox Jaunt
  2. String of Squares, inspired by this image from Sew Katie Did
  3. Pebbles, inspired by this Puzzle Box quilt.  The actual quilting itself is totally different, but I love the way the pop of colour is left un-quilted so that it puffs up and becomes a feature.
  4. Graffiti Quilting, Amy at 13 Spools shared a great tutorial on mixing up motifs.  I tried this technique on my final sammie and I wish I'd gotten up the nerve to try it sooner.  It was a lot of fun and I love the results! 
  5. Ocean Current, by Leah Day.  This video tutorial is great.  
  6. Stippling, I don't have a tutorial to share for this one, just the basic concept that stippling consists of wiggly lines that never cross or touch.
  7. Geometric Quilting, inspired by this image from Pinterest.  Oddly, the article in the link doesn't actually include the picture so don't have enough info to give it proper credit :(  If you happen to know the true source of this image, please share!
  8. Continuous Eight, Rachel at Stitched in Colour shares an amazing tutorial with video for this technique.
  9. Geometric Quilting, See #7


With some trial and error, I've arranged these blocks into a layout that I'm happy with, sewn them together and trimmed up the edges.  

Now, I could use some advice...it's time to pick a backing fabric for this quilt and I'm stumped. I'm torn between a solid backing in a light colour - perhaps a soft aqua or pale pink, or a print.  If I go the print route, I'm leaning towards low-ish volume but colourful.  What do you suggest?  Any specific recommendations of favourite fabrics that would work?

I'm linking up with WIP Wednesday, hosted by Lee at Freshly Pieced.

Happy Wednesday!
--Liz 

4 comments:

  1. I love this! This is something I have thought about but you did it! Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking good! Seems like a great way to get some fmq practice. Thanks for sharing the tutorials you used, I'll definitely refer to them when I decide to take the plunge! I like the idea of an aqua back, or a print. I don't have any recommendations though, I can't think of the names :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. 7 & 9 look like some of Angela Water's designs - I forget the name of the book, but these are definitely like her work. I think there could be something similar in Shape by Shape.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 7 & 9 look like some of Angela Water's designs - I forget the name of the book, but these are definitely like her work. I think there could be something similar in Shape by Shape.

    ReplyDelete