Wednesday, 25 February 2015

WIP | All About That Baste

It seems as though all the quilt stars have aligned, and this week I found myself basting four quilts.  Pin basting four quilts is a no-fail way to ruin a manicure!


My Talisman Quilt is ready to be quilted.  I'm still working on a plan for the quilting, but I expect it will be heavily inspired by this stunning quilting work by Angela Walters.  This is a quilt of my own design and I'm slowly working on a tutorial for the block which I intend to share shortly.  So, stay tuned for that.


I basted my FMQ sampler quilt in order to join the backing to the quilted front layer.  I did this by zig-zag stitching along each of the seams and I'm really happy with how it turned out.  Thanks to Kat from Kat & Cat Quilts for sharing this genius idea last week.  The zig-zag helps to keep bulky QAYG seams nice and flat.  Plus i love the extra texture that this adds.  I'm about 60% finished stitching down the binding, so I'll have a finish to share soon.


Finally, I basted up a couple baby quilts that are essentially a selvage mission from a custom Etsy order that fell through.  I think they turned out kind of cute, all things considered.  


I've since quilted the green one with an allover stipple, and am trying to decide what to do quilting-wise with the red one.  What do you think?  Stick with a speedy stipple, or try something else?

I'm linking up with WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced.  

Happy Wednesday!
--Liz

3 comments:

  1. I love having a stack of things basted, ready for quilting! It's nice having so many projects, close to being finished. I'm very excited to see what you do with your talisman quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - I kind of dread pin basting so it must feel good to have done all of those quilts! Love the look of your QAYG sampler too. Great post title BTW!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Such diligence with all that pinning! Have you tried spray basting? I was chicken to spray baste at first but my daughter urged me to try it and it is great. I use 505 basting spray. I have not personally tried them but I know some folks who love Pinmoors. Much easier on the nails. Check them out at http://www.pinmoor.com/ I first saw them being used by Leah Day, the teacher in a Craftsy class called Free Motion fillers. I love the color combo in your Talisman quit. Good luck with it.

    ReplyDelete