Thursday, 21 May 2015

#TBT | Value Quilt (aka Hot Mess)

It's been a while since my last Throwback Thursday post, so I figured its high time for me to share another oldie.

When I discovered the wonderful world of modern quilting online, Sew Katie Did was one of the first blogs that really captivated me - particularly Katie's Value Quilts.  So, I decided to make one of my own.  It was a great excuse to purchase a random assortment of modern fabrics to start building my stash, and also a great way to use some of the not-so-modern fabrics that I had leftover from my earliest quilting days.


I loved the idea of pairing light and dark fabrics together to create the pattern through contrast.  The fabrics themselves become secondary to the overall design.  When you look closely, none of these fabrics should work together, but as a whole it's got a lot of impact.  

Some of our bloggie friends may call this style "Scrap Vomit", but I prefer the term "Hot Mess"!

Happy Thursday peeps!
--Liz

2 comments:

  1. I really like your "Hot Mess" quilt! I have a pile of six inch squares sitting doing nothing and I am SO going to make one of these value quilts. Thanks for inspiring me!

    ReplyDelete