Wednesday, 24 June 2015

WIP | Pantone Challenge

Remember the Pantone quilt challenge hosted by Adrianne from On the Windy Side and Anne from Playcrafts? The one that wrapped up way back in April? Well, it's two months late but I finally got started on my Marsala quilt!

Yes, I've clearly missed the boat on this one.  But, I still wanted to take on the challenge of creating with a colour palette that stretches the comfort zone. Since Marsala has a bricky-burgundy vibe, I thought it would be appropriate to create a quilt with a traditional basis but somewhat freshened up.




I started with an oversized Young Man's Fancy block.  I first discovered this block while reading a Margaret Atwood novel - quilt inspiration can be found anywhere!  I worked out the quilt math to blow the block up to 30"x30" finished size.  I'm now working on HSTs that will radiate out from the feature block in various peachy colours - essentially tints and tones of the inspiration Marsala fabric.  I haven't quite decided on a layout yet so right now I'm kind of stuck.  

What do you think, lovely readers?  Should I proceed with option A (below, left) which has the HSTs grouped snug together, or option B (below, right) which has the HSTs drifting apart with gaps of the background fabric in between?



Linking up with Lee at Freshly Pieced.

Happy Wednesday!
--Liz

11 comments:

  1. I love this block. My choice is A. :)
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm leaning toward B. I really like the Young Man's Fancy block. I made it last year as a small wall hanging.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I rather like the fractured look of B. It give the block a very modern vibe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful block, I would choose B.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My choice is probably A. It seems to reverberate and I like that . I read that book too , on s flight to Canada !

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like your block. I like option B.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a great block. I vote for option B, it has a more modern feel to it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't know if you have decided yet or not, but I'll throw in my vote for layout B! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh drifting apart, definitely...more room for your gorgeous FMQ!

    ReplyDelete