Wednesday, 9 September 2015

WIP | Stripes are Fun

I'm nearing completion of this improv-ish, Opart-y quilt, and it occured to me that even though I've shared some progress on Instagram (@lizzyclips), it's been virtually ignored on the blog.  

Since all that's left to do is bind this quilt, I thought I'd recap my progress/process from now back to the beginning, Benjamin Button style.  


Since the piecing is the star of this show, I wanted the quilting to enhance it, without taking over.  So, I chose to straight line quilt, following along with the direction of each of the stripes.  I used the edge of my foot as a guide so the quilting lines are about 3/8" apart.  I didn't get too hung up over perfectly spaced or perfectly straight lines, I don't mind that in some places the quilting lines are a little organic.


I struggled for a while in searching for the perfect backing for this quilt, until I came across Carolyn Freidlander's Lightning in blue.  The colours are an exact match and I love the way the sketchiness of this print contrasts with the rigidity of the piecing on the front.

  
Piecing was a lot of fun!  I didn't really have a plan, but rather took a make-it-up-as-I-go approach.  It was important to me to ensure that the stripes matched up as best as possible, so I used the 1" wide stripes as a guide and was careful to match the stripes whenever possible.  This is my kind of improv, by the way.  There's a nice balance between freedom and structure.  I worked in bands of about 18" wide by 54" long, then joined the bands together to create the quilt top.  It was a bit of a puzzle to figure out the composition of each band, while ensuring that it would align nicely with the adjacent band.


This project began as a handful of half-yard cuts that I discovered in the bargain bin at my LQS, and a healthy dose of inspiration from the likes of Libs Elliot and Victor Vasarely.

So, there you have it.  A backwards view of how I've created this project thus far.  Stay tuned for the final reveal - I'm pretty pumped about my plan for the binding!

I'm linking up to Freshly Pieced for WIP Wednesday.

Happy Wednesday!
--Liz




5 comments:

  1. I like the backwards view! Have you picked the fabric you will bind with? The backing is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Straight line quilting is my favourite style to do - love the backing you have chosen too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These little peeks are absolutely stunning! I love the straight line quilting, it compliments the piecing perfectly. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Straight line quilting compliments the patchwork stripes really well. What do you do with all the thread ends, or do you backstitch over your stitches and the just cut the ends?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking good! Love the design you came up with. Kat @ katandcatquilts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete