Since all that's left to do is bind this quilt, I thought I'd recap my progress/process from now back to the beginning, Benjamin Button style.
Since the piecing is the star of this show, I wanted the quilting to enhance it, without taking over. So, I chose to straight line quilt, following along with the direction of each of the stripes. I used the edge of my foot as a guide so the quilting lines are about 3/8" apart. I didn't get too hung up over perfectly spaced or perfectly straight lines, I don't mind that in some places the quilting lines are a little organic.
I struggled for a while in searching for the perfect backing for this quilt, until I came across Carolyn Freidlander's Lightning in blue. The colours are an exact match and I love the way the sketchiness of this print contrasts with the rigidity of the piecing on the front.
Piecing was a lot of fun! I didn't really have a plan, but rather took a make-it-up-as-I-go approach. It was important to me to ensure that the stripes matched up as best as possible, so I used the 1" wide stripes as a guide and was careful to match the stripes whenever possible. This is my kind of improv, by the way. There's a nice balance between freedom and structure. I worked in bands of about 18" wide by 54" long, then joined the bands together to create the quilt top. It was a bit of a puzzle to figure out the composition of each band, while ensuring that it would align nicely with the adjacent band.
This project began as a handful of half-yard cuts that I discovered in the bargain bin at my LQS, and a healthy dose of inspiration from the likes of Libs Elliot and Victor Vasarely.
So, there you have it. A backwards view of how I've created this project thus far. Stay tuned for the final reveal - I'm pretty pumped about my plan for the binding!
I'm linking up to Freshly Pieced for WIP Wednesday.